» Internal Medicine and related specialties
Orthopedic and Spinal Surgery
Some of the services commonly provided include:
Arthroscopy and Laser Arthroscopic Surgery
Through a tiny incision in the affected joint (under local or sometimes general anesthetic), a slender video-telescope is inserted directly into the joint. By this means, the surgeon is able to directly inspect its insides. Frequently, repairs or cleaning of the joint can be performed at this time. Arthroscopy and laser arthroscopic surgery are most commonly used for the knee and shoulder joints, allowing surgical repair or excision of the torn or degenerated meniscus, cartilage, or ligaments. These procedures are usually performed without need for an overnight stay in the hospital.
Total Joint Replacement
Artificial Joint Replacement for people whose joints have been destroyed by arthritis is now available in the British Virgin Islands.
Total Hip Replacement (THR)
Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
Typically after surgery the patient is out of bed and walking the following day, and can usually be discharged within 2-3 days. This joint replacement program has removed the need for persons in the BVI and surrounding islands to travel to Puerto Rico or the USA, as was previously necessary.
Lumbar Laminectomy and Intervertebral Disc Extraction:
(Lower back) For prolapsed lumbar intervertebral discs with nerve root compression – a cause of severe persistent lower limb pain and numbness.
Cervical (Neck) Laminectomy / Intervertebral Disc Extraction:
For prolapsed cervical intervertebral discs with nerve root compression – a cause of severe persistent upper limb pain and numbness and often spinal cord compression with symptoms in the lower limbs.
Spinal canal decompression for spinal canal stenosis (usually lumbar spine).
Fixation of the spinal column, for spinal instability.
Corrective surgery for scoliosis.
Repair/correction of deformities bone / limb or tendons.
Removal or biopsy of skeletal related masses / tumours.
Facet joint injection:
For relief of back pain, steroid injections (cortisone type) into joints and tendons for relieving pain and Synvisk injections to help restore worn cartilage and lubricate the joint.
Repairs of minor and major fractures of bones in the upper and lower limbs using state of the art repair techniques, with confirmation of appropriate alignment and reduction of the bones with the aid of fluoroscopy (C-Arm).
- Breast surgery for cancer and breast lumps ( for cosmetic breast operations see Plastic and Aesthetic surgery)
- Hernia repair- Inguinal and other
- Vasectomy and circumcision and other operations for problems with the genitals
- Stripping of varicose veins
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Major abdominal operations like various forms of surgery on the stomach, small intestines and colon. Surgery for colon cancer.
- Hemorrhoidectomy and banding of hemorrhoids
- other operations and procedures.
Gynecologic Surgery and other procedures
- Hysterectomy and myomectomy (excision of fibroids) – often combined with a tummy tuck operation (abdominoplasty) in one operative session.
- Laparoscopic Tubal ligation and tubal reconstruction
- Ovarian operations
- Cervical Operations-Letz Procedure for early cervical cancer and precancerous lesions
- Operations on the external female genitalia-e.g., Marsupialization of Bartholin Cysts
- Other Gynecologic operations and procedures.
ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) Surgery
- Tonsillectomy , with or without Adenoidectomy (Ts & As)
- Thyroid Biopsies (Fine Needle aspiration- FNA)
- Salivary Gland operations (e.g., Parotidectomy)
- Operations on the Ear, Ear drum
- Operations on the head and neck, Larynx and Trachea
- Other ENT operations
Operations and procedures on the male and female external genitalia, prostate, bladder, Ureters and kidneys.
- Vasectomy, Hydrocelectomy, Varicelectomy, repair of testicular torsion.
- Prostate operations- prostate biopsy, operations for BPH and for Cancer of the prostate.
- Bladder operations
- Treatment of Kidney stones . Other kidney operations.
- Other Urologic operations and procedures
Anesthesia and sedation
Our operations are performed under full general anesthesia, regional anesthesia or with local anesthesia, with or without sedation, as is appropriate. Epidural anesthesia is also used in some abdominal and lower limb operations. The clinic is equipped with modern anesthetic and monitoring equipment.
Adequate pain medication is administered during and after your operation.
Aesthetic plastic surgery operations
- Face and eyelid surgery
- Liposculpture (injection of your own fat to restore the youthful contours of the face and mouth, or to correct body defects)
- Nose and ear surgery
- Breast surgery (augmentation, breast reduction and breast lift)
- Abdominoplasty and body lift after massive weight loss
- Liposuction and body contouring
- Reconstructive surgery and revision of scars
- Trauma and hand surgery
- Excision of keloids and skin cancers, with necessary reconstructive flaps
Cosmetic procedures offered
- Sclerotherapy and electro-dessication for treatment by injection of small spider veins.
- Restylane as a semi-permanent filler used to correct fine lines around the mouth and defects in facial contours. See www.q-med.com for more information
- Botox (a neurotoxin that prevents the contraction of muscles) to be used therapeutically for some selected neurological conditions, severe underarm sweating, and prevention or reduction of lines on the face. See www.botox.com for more information
Aesthetician Treatments offered
Medical Microdermabrasion, which smoothes and freshens the skin by gentle abrasion with fine crystals combined with suction to remove dead skin cells.
Regular treatment with microdermabrasion is used for sun damaged skin, age spots and superficial pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged pores, blackheads and whiteheads, and acne scars. See more on www.parisianpeel.com.
Obagi skin health restoration systems, physician prescribed, which treat sun and acne-damaged skin, fine wrinkles and uneven pigmentation. The systems cleanse and tone the skin and encourage collagen production, resulting in significant improvements in skin elasticity and texture:
Obagi-C Rx System
This is suitable for younger patients, new to skin care and having had no success with over-the-counter skin products.
Obagi Nu-Derm System
This is for more mature patients with sun-damaged skin, acne, wrinkles or skin laxity.
Obagi CLENZIderm M.D.
This is for patients of twelve years old and upwards, with acne. The system does not contain antibiotics.
Obagi Professional -C serum
This is used in combination with the other Obagi products as a booster. It is also used by pregnant women with hyper-pigmentation who cannot use the products containing hydroquinone.
Obagi Blue Peel
This is a chemical peel that can achieve dramatic improvements in many skin problems. See www.obagi.com for more information.
Quantum Intense Pulsed Light improves the appearance of photo-aged skin, removes age spots (sun induced freckles), most benign brown pigments, broken capillaries and redness, through the process of Photo-rejuvenation. See www.lumenis.com for more information.
Light Sheer Diode Laser System delivers pulsed infrared light intended for hair removal, permanent hair reduction, the treatment of leg veins, benign pigmented lesions and ingrown hair. See www.lumenis.com for more information.
Laser Skin Procedures
- Our clinic has several types of lasers
- ND yag laser- for hair removal and of the cosmetic procedures on all skin types , including pigmented skins
- CO2 Fractional Laser
- Blue Light for acne treatment
- IPL and Other Lasers
BVI now second to none: Green Light Laser treatment for urinary obstruction
Read More »
Surgery for Prostate Cancer - Another First For The BVI
Read More »
BVI’s first penile prosthesis for erectile dysfunction implanted at Bougainvillea Clinic
Read More »
8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.,
Monday to Friday
Visit Eureka Medical Clinic